Hey guys we are back yet again with another compelling question that intrigues your mind – Who is Satoshi Nakamoto? By now we have known enough on bitcoins and it’s interesting blockchain technology.
Still, a name called Satoshi Nakamoto has always been associated with Bitcoins but we never get a clear understanding on his true identity. So here we come to reveal everything on Satoshi Nakamoto’s identity that solves most of your doubts like Bitcoin Founder, Bitcoin Inventor etc.
Who is Satoshi Nakamoto?
As of now, we know that Satoshi Nakamoto is the name associated with a Japanese computer science expert who discovered bitcoin and also devised the first blockchain database. He is probably the first person who solved the double spending problem for digital currency.
However, he only developed bitcoin until December 2010. After that, it is said that he left bitcoin and went onto for some other project.
Let us see his life events and milestones step by step to dig deeper on Satoshi’s mysterious identity.
- November 2008: This is when Satoshi posted his original research paper online, that explained the basic principles of bitcoin.
- April 2009: With help of several volunteers and gaining some frequent visibility amongst people, the original bitcoin network appeared.
- Mid 2010: Satoshi almost stopped giving inputs into the Bitcoin network.
- April 2011: On several introspection Satoshi replied that he moved onto other projects and after that he even stopped replying altogether.
Ten interesting facts about Satoshi Nakamoto:
- Satoshi Nakamoto is a Japanese word wherein Satoshi means “wise” Naka means “medium” and Moto means “foundation”.
- Perhaps the most interesting fact is that he is not real – nobody knows if he exists or not.
- Despite having a clue that Satoshi is a Japanese, people are still not sure of it. Reason being his perfect English that some people even considered that he is from US.
- Quite an interesting yet shocking fact is that nobody knows of Satoshi is “he” or “she” or “they”. This clearly means nobody ever interacted with him ever. He/she/they has always hidden his/her/their true identity.
- Satoshi’s contact email was from a German website with a pseudo name.
- Satoshi’s coding was not conventional and he did not even applied the same rigorous testing that a normal software engineer would have done, as per a core developer Jeff Garzik.
- As per some people, he worked for several government agencies including Federal Aviation Administration. Still it is believed that he is a libertarian – distrusting government.
- According to his newsweek, he did independent work for the Military and also computer engineering for Quotron Systems Inc.
- As per his protege, Martii Malami – Satoshi is not likely to be a young person and seemed to be influenced by people of Silicon Valley.
- Satoshi is expected of owning around One Million Bitcoins which at current market value means per coin worth around 1 lakh ($1589). However, Satoshi did not even touch his millions of bitcoins as of now. If he does, his identity would be revealed.
Satoshi Nakamoto’s Net Worth/ How Rich is Satoshi Nakamoto
As per Sergio Lerner’s analysis (a well known authority on bitcoin and cryptography). Satoshi Nakamoto mined several early blocks in the bitcoin network. He has a hoard of around 1 million unspent bitcoins. This clearly means that he has around 7% of the total bitcoins in the world.
A person having this much worth would definitely be having a significant influence in the world of Bitcoins. He has the power to personally move both the value and market for Bitcoins. This is certainly a mystery and influence of his net worth that keeps people engaged.
The reason that Satoshi Nakamoto is the largest shareholder of Bitcoin, he is like CEO, the Bitcoin owner, has a significant influence upon the bitcoin market. His enormously growing wealth, with the rising value of bitcoins day by day makes people take more interest in him.
Who is Real Satoshi Nakamoto
No wonder this has been the hottest question of the decade that Who is real satoshi Nakamoto? Let us see some personalities who proved them as Satoshi Nakamoto at some point in time. However, till now there has been no evidence stating the clear fact on his real identity of Bitcoin creator. Let us look at few famous personalities who claimed them as Satoshi:
- Nick Szabo: As per Skye Grey (a blogger) in 2013, Szabo is considered to be decentralized currency enthusiast. He published a research paper on bit gold which was considered a precursor to bitcoin.
Since, he was known for using pseudonyms in 1990’s. Szabo was thought as Satoshi Nakamoto. However, in a detailed research by Dominic Frisby we found no proof that Satoshi is Szabo. Also, Szabo later denied being Satoshi.
- Dorian Nakamoto: A magazine called Newsweek, identified Dorian Prentice Satoshi Nakamoto. He was a Japanese american, from California whose birth name was Satoshi Nakamoto. Besides his name, certain other facts were also revealed that somehow suggested that he is the bitcoin inventor.
A physicist and a system engineer, he worked for several technology and financial services companies. He turned libertarian as per his daughter and was totally against government. In a discussion, when asked about Bitcoin, he seemed to confirm his identity as a founder by stating that he is no longer associated with bitcoin and can not discuss it.
People then started chasing him for no reason that made his life miserable altogether. After that, in a detailed interview Dorian denied all connection to bitcoin. He even said that he has never ever heard of this currency before and that he had misinterpreted Goodman’s question to some of his work with Citibank. Later, pseudonymous Satoshi’s P2P foundation posted its first message in five years stating that – “I am not Dorian Nakamoto”.
- Hal Finney:
Hal Finney was a pre-bitcoin cryptographic pioneer, the first person to use the software and file bug reports along with making improvements. A journalist Greenberg compared a sample of Finney with Satoshi Nakamoto’s writing and found a very close resemblance. However after meeting Finney in-person, he saw emails between him and Satoshi, his bitcoin wallet’s history and his very first bitcoin transactions that Satoshi sent to him.
Also, Finney denied being Satoshi and therefore Greenberg also agreed that he is telling the truth.
- Craig Steven Wright: In December 2015, Craig (former australian academician) claimed himself as Satoshi Nakamoto. Same time Gizmodo published a story stating the fact that Satoshi Nakamoto was a joint pseudonym for Craig Wright and a computer analyst David Kleiman. However several prominent promoters were unconvinced by the report. Later the same year, Wright’s home was raided by some ten police officers. But could not reveal any significant truth.
In May 2016, Craig Wright in his blog publicly revealed that he is Satoshi Nakamoto. Same day, BBC and Economist revealed that they saw Wright signing a message using the same private key associated with first bitcoin transaction. His claim was even supported by Jon Matonis , former director of the Bitcoin Foundation. He met Wright and demonstrated a similar signing demonstration.
However, Bitcoin Core project released a statement later on Twitter stating that there is currently no publicly available cryptographic proof. After that, bitcoin developers Jeff Garzik, Dan Kaminsky and Peter Todd also claimed that Wright does not prove anything and seems to be an intentional scammer!
If you are New in Bitcoin Field then must read:
Other Speculations on Satoshi Nakamoto identity:
- In 2011, the New Yorker claimed Joshua Davis to have narrowed down the identity of Satoshi Nakamoto to a large number of possible individuals.
- In October 2011 itself, a journalist cited circumstantial evidences suggesting the fact that Neal King, Vladimir Oksman and Charles Bry could be Satoshi Nakamoto. Since these three jointly filed a patent application, containing the phrase computationally impractical to reverse” that was also used in the bitcoin whitepaper by Satoshi. After the patent was filed, domain name bitcoin.org was registered within three days. However, all the three denied being Satoshi while contacted by Penenberg.
- In May 2013, Ted Nelson speculated that Satoshi is really a Japanese mathematician Shinichi Mochizuki. However, later an article was published in a newspaper called The Age claiming that Mochizuki denied these speculations.
- In an article in 2013, Gavin Andersen, Jed McCale or a government agency were suggested as possible candidates to be Nakamoto.
- A texas based security researcher, Dustin D. Trammell was also suggested as Satoshi Nakamoto but he publicly denied the fact.
- In 2013, two mathematicians from Israel, Dorit Ron and Adi Shamir published a paper claiming a link between Ross William Ulbricht and Satoshi Nakamoto. Their suspicion was based on an analysis of the network of bitcoin transactions, however later retraced their claim.
- Some people often considered Satoshi Nakamoto as a team of people, as the code was too well designed to be written by a single person.
Even after years of speculations and brainstorming, thousands of predictions, claims and denials – till date we do not have any concrete evidence that proves the identity of Satoshi Nakamoto.
Neither a person nor a group has successfully revealed being Satoshi Nakamoto. We would say that it is good that his identity has been such a mystery. This atleast provoked interest due to the mystery associate. This is the reason that now the bitcoin known so great irrespective of any Bitcoin founder, owner or authority who discovered it.